Dairy is in pretty much everything we eat. We’re talking about butter, yogurt, cheese pudding and even cream cheese. Sadly, some people can’t eat dairy, which limits what they can use as a spread on their bagels. We think everyone should have the option of putting some cream cheese on our Bagel Bakery bagels, so we found a recipe from The Spunky Coconut for a paleo, dairy-free coconut cream cheese spread. Whether your lactose-intolerant or just trying to consume fewer dairy products, this recipe is for you!
What you’ll need:
- 2 cans of coconut milk or 1 carton of coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- Dairy-free probiotics
What you do:
- Make sure the coconut milk/cream separates before you begin
- Place a cloth napkin over a mixing bowl and pour the separated milk/cream and squeeze most (but not all) the water out. The final product should look like a big ball of cheese
- Discard excess water and place milk/cream in mixing bowl. Mix it together with the maple syrup and the probiotics
- Keep the bowl in a warm place and let it ferment for 18-24 hours
- Refrigerate mixture to set
- Bring it to room temperature before use and enjoy
Recipes like these make it possible for those with a dairy intolerance to fully enjoy our bagels. Share this with some of your dairy intolerant friends!